By David L. Andrews,Ben Carrington
- Positions recreation as an important topic for severe research, as essentially the most major kinds of well known culture
- Includes either famous social and cultural theorists whose paintings lends itself to an interrogation of recreation, and prime theorists of activity itself
- Offers a finished exam of recreation as a social and cultural perform and institution
- Explores recreation in terms of modernity, postcolonial idea, gender, violence, race, incapacity and politics
Read Online or Download A Companion to Sport (Blackwell Companions in Cultural Studies) PDF
Best sociology of sports books
This insightful assortment files Latinos in baseball from an interdisciplinary standpoint. • An advent through Ilan Stavans• Contributions from a very good gallery of writers • A chronology • a close bibliography for additional study
This ebook exhibits how the dynamic interaction of a robust "golden triangle" of activities, media, and company pursuits with social, cultural, monetary, and political forces shapes game in a altering global. This version is a condensed and up-to-date model of the 1st version, with an emphasis on present social matters in game.
The institutional courting among recreation and the army seems to be intensifying. within the US for instance, which confronted international feedback for its overseas coverage through the "war on terror," militaristic pictures are common at sporting activities. The turning out to be worldwide phenomenon of conflating game with conflict demands nearer research.
Overlaying a breadth of subject matters surrounding the present kingdom of ladies in activities, this two-volume assortment faucets present occasions, sociological and feminist idea, and up to date examine to contextualize women's reviews in activities inside of a patriarchal society and spotlight components for development. • contains contributions from a large choice of athletes and students from world wide and contains content material edited by way of editors of alternative sexes and races• demanding situations traditional knowledge surrounding women's position and therapy in game as lady athletes proceed to wreck intercourse boundaries and shatter past expectancies relating to their skill to compete opposed to males• Relates themes of sexism, gender expectancies, and discrimination to key concerns in the greater social constitution
- Violence and Aggression in Sporting Contests: Economics, History and Policy: 4 (Sports Economics, Management and Policy)
- Fit for Consumption: Sociology and the Business of Fitness
- Is There Life After Football?: Surviving the NFL
- Sports Fans, Identity, and Socialization: Exploring the Fandemonium
Additional info for A Companion to Sport (Blackwell Companions in Cultural Studies)